Universal Basic Income (UBI) Planned In 30 U.S. Cities
UBI is increasingly being recommended as a possible strategy to help mitigate the economic consequences of an extended coronavirus pandemic.
Almost all the UBI programs currently being piloted propose direct, unconditional cash payments to citizens, a lot like how many welfare payments are actually distributed today.
Based on data from Welfare and Health Studies at the Cato Institute only 30% of funds allocated to government welfare programs end up in the hands of the people who benefit from it. For private charities, an average of 82% of funds reach those that want it, while fund-raising and administrative expenses account for the remaining 18%. If numbers that are very much the same are actually assumed for UBI programs, 70% of funds will go towards a UBI program’s administrative expenses rather compared to its intended recipients.
The use of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology is able to transform how UBI is actually implemented, making it cost effective, most importantly, and, secure, transparent. The primary benefit to using blockchain technology will be the elimination of bureaucracy, resulting in 100% of funds reaching UBI recipients.
Karma Finance, founded by Antoine Sorel Neron, the designer of the first Initial Coin Offering (ICO) in cryptocurrency, is actually developing a new Decentralized Finance (DeFi) platform that is going to allow users to choose either to get a weekly UBI payment or perhaps to participate in the community reward pool. Owners participating in the reward pool is going to be strongly incentivized to provide the funding required for the UBI program itself.
“Decentralized finance and UBI are actually a natural fit, particularly as we are working to build economic resilience in cities across the country,” said Neron, who grew up on Chicago’s South Side. “Decentralized finance is actually meant to produce a far more inclusive and open financial system for everyone. We might not have the ability to make it happen for the world’s billion plus poor just yet, but at least we are able to build a practical solution to help regular folks who’ve been affected by COVID, even as government budgets start to be more strained. This’s exactly where the public is able to step in to help.”
Karma Finance is going to be the first DeFi application built for UBI.
About Karma Finance
Karma Finance launched on August thirty one, 2020, with the goal of providing a privately funded Universal Basic Income solution via blockchain and smart contracts. A community based project aimed at empowering users impacted by COVID and other economically devastating events, it uses a unique decentralized finance (DeFi) protocol which allows Karma’ angels’ to stake Ethereum cryptocurrency for the benefit of other users that receive direct UBI payments from the product.